YOLO= you only live once (Jenni's contribution to the name of this blog) Elder Brown is only living once (for 2 years) in the beautiful West Indies, sharing the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ with the good people there.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Classic Guyana

This week has been the cliche Guyana week. We got quite a few laughs and some good hard work done. We are covering 2 branches and just opened up a new area or actually starting to work in there. We plan on getting 2 baptisms there in Blairemont. It will be from a part member family so hopefully it reactivates the family. I made my new planner cover and I like it except we didn't have contact paper so the tape just looks unattractive. I decided that since I have only a few transfers left I would start putting cool memories from back at home as backside covers for planners. This one had a picture of Me and Jace with the singer of Silverstein and I showed it off to some people and they must have bad eye sight because they thought the singer was either: my mom, girlfriend or sister. She said that "she" also has a beard. Had to get the glasses on for that one I guess. This week we have found success with using a Gospel Art Book. It has pictures of all the Bible and Book of Mormon stories and shows a lot of good visuals. It's perfect to use with the average Guyanese. We took it to a less active member's house and they brought a friend over. Sister Gampat (The less active member) saw 
us open up and talk about prophets. Me: Who was the first prophet? (Picture of Adam and Eve kneeling at an alter) Sis Gampat: (Looking at the picture) THOMAS S. MONSON!
They only know Thomas S. Monson and Joseph Smith. Then we got to a picture of Jesus and she screams out "JESUS!" We showed a picture of Abraham and Issac and the guy there who is a less active Muslim says: Abraham and Ishmael.
I had to tell him it was Issac which felt somewhat weird. We dropped him later that week because he knows he needs to change but he won't. This week we visited a part member family and taught the kids something good and then the dad starts walking home as drunk as a skunk and the kids were a bit embarrassed that they had to go help their dad walk to the house. This makes me glad that I have righteous parents who don't drink or disobey God's commandments. I love my parents for being such a good example to me. I would hate to have to help my Dad get into the house from being too drunk. We also ran into a teenager who was in a van ride with us and he was a bit rowdy because he was drinking his second beer and he started to talk disrespectfully about women. Elder Palavi being pretty big especially to a small Indian punk teenager had him shut up pretty quick. The teenager said his father was a pastor for a church. He sure didn't act like a pastor's son either. He thought Ephesians was in the Old Testament. I remember when I was a teenager. Well good news is that Elder Dearing who is one of my two MTC companions is coming to Guyana but to Georgetown side! My other companion is a Zone Leader in Georgetown. I am going to meet up with them on my birthday in Georgetown so it will be so fun! Elder Dearing will be in my first area called Diamond. I hope I get to serve there before I come home! Well lastly it's sad that we are getting contention in the branch. Someone was offended because their kid didn't get a cookie and I guess it was faults on both ends. Everyone here just wants to argue so we are here to help there be peace. We have a baptism this Saturday for Elizabeth! She is the lady in the middle of the picture. She isn't too smart but she sure is a great lady and we hope having a baptism unifies the branch a little more. Working hard out here with lots of ground to cover. That's Guyana though. Big big areas.






No comments:

Post a Comment