YOLO= you only live once (Jenni's contribution to the name of this blog) Elder Brown is only living once (for 2 years) in the beautiful West Indies, sharing the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ with the good people there.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Success Smells Funny

Well it's another hot week in Guyana. Nope it never gets cold here at the equator. I am going to have to go up to Utah when I get home and jump right into a pile of snow. Well we are looking at some big success for the upcoming week and next week. In the 2 branches we cover we have a baptism for Bushlot branch this week and then a baptism for Rosignol next week. Lots of success coming and it feels nice. We have been working hard and it just gets a bit old going back and forth between Rosignol and Bushlot. It's a 30 minute van ride between them both. This Friday our investigator Shannon is getting her money to get married and then baptized on Saturday. We are so excited for her and she has been excited to be baptized even before we met her. Surprisingly she actually likes the reverence we have at church. People in the Caribbean usually like the loud yelling and singing. One of these days I want to just walk into a church that is yelling and ask them "Why are you yelling? I can't really feel the spirit." I probably wouldn't literally do that but I wonder what they would think about that. We live near a church and every week we just hear a man yelling while preaching. Just put a disco ball in there and it would be a club. Or just put padding on the walls and the floor and give everyone a straight jacket and it would be a mental asylum. Next week Jack is getting baptized in Rosignol branch and it makes me so happy to see. He is a little strange but a really nice guy. He loves Jesus and tells us about every 5 minutes. While contacting this week we met a guy who seemed somewhat normal but he ended up being kinda crazy. I don't know what point he was trying to prove but here is what he talked about. He asked what color Jesus was and I ask him what he thinks. He said he isn't too sure but he watches a lot of documentaries and some of them say Jesus is black. I told him I knew a scripture in Revelations that Rastas use to prove Jesus is black but since Jews are white that Jesus was more than likely white. He then told me that the Leonardo Da Vinchie painting of the Last Supper was Leonardo's dad and 12 prisoners used as the model. Then he said that in Psalms 46 (I think it was 46) That it says Shakespeare. Every 46 words it says it. First 46 words is Shake. The next 46 is Spear. He marked it up and all that. I told him that it was a different "Speare" instead of "Spear". He had his universe shattered. Then he left us with some "advice" He goes on to tell us "I have come to the conclusion. Anything that you see is a deception. The things that you cannot see is reality." I asked him if the tree next to me was real. He was just confounded. I am not too sure what he was trying to teach me but it was interesting. He saw my new ring that I got finished and he was confused a bit. There are no real Zelda fans out here so I explain that it's God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost. It really stands for Courage, Wisdom, and Strength. Well things are going good here. I should be getting my gator gear soon. I will have to send a picture of my gator scripture case when I get it. Also my animal picture of the week is this random pig. Speaking of pig my recent convert fed us pork curry but she was a little scared because her husband who lives in New York is Muslim and she didn't want her neighbors to know that she made us pork. This week while eating at Church's chicken I was eating my food and CNN came on. It was strange seeing some stuff going on in America. The Vice President was doing a soldier funeral and it looked really neat. Made me proud to be an American but at the same time I realized how much is going on in the world. I read this card that has good missionary inspirational quotes on it that I got a year ago. I keep it in my wallet and I was thinking about it. One quote I like says "Most things in life are neither important or urgent. Sharing the Gospel message is both."
Just kinda hit me when I saw the news. What I am doing is of eternal importance. It was such a neat experience. Don't ever suppress a generous thought is a nice quote I remember we had by our fireplace at home. Never miss an opportunity to share your testimony. Well that is about it but I look forward to sending baptism pictures the next 2 weeks.

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment