YOLO= you only live once (Jenni's contribution to the name of this blog) Elder Brown is only living once (for 2 years) in the beautiful West Indies, sharing the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ with the good people there.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Long But Fun Week

It feels like we had such a long week but I can't say it hasn't been fun. Elder Reyes has been teaching me the basics of how to play the piano. I understand generally how to play it now but I am no pro. I remember last week my mom emailed me and asked if I eat anything different and I realize so much that I never eat anything strange. I talked about it with Elder Reyes and that night we went to a part member family for FHE and at the end they fed us pig foot. I did not see that coming. There was barely any meat and you are supposed to eat the skin and fat. I dug for meat and enjoyed the sauce with it. How about that for exotic? I forgot to mention that 2 weeks ago we had a baptism right when I got here. We baptized a young teenager from a member family named Keeran. He is a funny kid who loves joking around with the missionaries. We had a nice lunch with all the missionaries in the branch. There is me and my companion another set of Elders who we live with and a set of Sister missionaries. We had Mexican food that we made and one of the Sisters is from Guyana so she called the burrito roti. I did a trade off and rode a bike for the first time in 9 months. It was so hard doing that but we went down a slight slope at the end of the day and our bikes go about 30 miles an hour. It is such a nice feeling but we don't have helmets so one pot hole would hurt pretty bad. Fortunately we rode safe and some stupid dog tried to chase us and just by hearing my tire screech make the dog run off all scared. It's hard to enjoy the 4th of July when you are not in America but we had a big missionary meeting with all the missionaries in Castries (Other side of the island) and talked about missionary work for a Zone Meeting. We sang patriotic songs for Hymns and then there is a store there that sells Pokemon cards for really really cheap. A few missionaries there buy Pokemon cards a lot so I ended up buying a few packs and it costs less than a dollar so I am making sure not to be like a child. Talk about the cigarettes of our childhood. "Mom I need another pack!" So Elder Watson and I celebrated an American holiday with Japanese cartoon cards. Sounds about as American as it gets. We also received some bittersweet news. The Sisters in our branch are getting moved out because many Sisters are going home this ending transfer and they need Sisters in other places. It's sad because Sister missionaries are the best. It is not so sad now because we will get their apartment. A washer and a drier! It will be cool not having to hang up clothes anymore. Sisters get the best treatment here in the Caribbean. We may or may not get their car too because we need to cover more area. I also got my address here too.

PO Box 923
Gable Woods South Mall
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia

Overall a great week of fun! We got a new Sister to come replace the Sisters here but the mission president just decided to pull them all out. She was here for a few days so it must have been like a vacation for her.

Last little quote I really liked that I heard:

"Sow a thought, Reap an act; Sow an act, Reap a habit; Sow a habit, Reap a character; Sow a character, Reap an eternal destiny." -President David O McKay
Keeran Baptism


Lunch included burrito roti

Bucket of Crabs

Pokemon Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment